Tuesday, February 19, 2013

A CALL TO MINISTRY

Praise Jesus!
I am grateful  to God who has given us breath this one more day and it is my prayer that we use the day to honor him.  

A call to ministry, is something I have been asking myself about for sometime now. there are a number of people in the bible who had been addressed by God to do something, there were many excuses and some even tried to run away like Jonah. Not only that but also even in these days' life, I have seen people trying to avoid some leadership positions in church or some other places related to church, I have done it myself. I tried to explore the reasons to why this happens.


Yes, sometimes it might happen that God does not want you to be where people want you to lead but there are times when we do not run away from people's wants to embrace God's will but we run away from God's will and that is my point of interest, why does this happen!

Let us have a few examples of the people from the bible, I know perhaps you have read their stories but just take some time to ponder this situation and see what you can get from here

Moses

  • Was raised up in the house of Pharaoh
  • Deep inside of Him God had put a desire to help his fellow Israelite
  • He killed an Egyptian as he was helping his fellow in a fight
  • When the time came for him to fulfill the purpose God called him for,  the past was haunting him and fear would not let him accept God's call
  • The good thing is later on, he accepted and did what he was supposed to do
Jonah

  • God wanted him to go to Nineveh
  • he ran away, headed to Tarshish 

  • God sent a great wind 
  • He was then swallowed by a huge fish, stayed there for three days and three nights
  •  He was then brought back to the path he should have followed
Jeremiah
  • God appointed Jeremiah to be a prophet to the nations
  • Jeremiah's reply was "I do not know how to speak, I am very young"
  • But the LORD said to Jeremiah "Do not say, 'I am too young.' You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you to say. Do not be afraid of them for I am with you to rescue you"


Some reasons to why people want to restrain from attending to God's call

  • Fear, thinking that they can not handle what God wants them to do.
  • Instead of trusting the one who calls them, they focus on their disabilities.  
  • Pride, some people fail to humble themselves after God has given them higher positions.

Today, I have just one word to those who think it is hard to make it, the ones who are in a crossroads on whether to say yes to God or not.
From the book of 1 Thessalonians 5:24
"The one who calls you is faithful and he will do it.NIV
God will not let us do what we can not do, in fact, He himself does it through us. 
And when you think that what God wants to do with you is bigger than what you can handle, know that you have to look at yourself differently, God knows what you can or can not handle and so find a way to look at yourself the way God looks at you!

God bless you so much and keep pressing on!

No comments:

Post a Comment